Sunday, May 24, 2009

memorial day thoughts

what does it mean? memorial day. growing up, i used to get labor day and memorial day mixed up. all it was to me was a day off with BBQ and fun with the family, just because there had been wars fought in the very distant (to me) past. the word war, also seemed somewhat a novelty to me. i hadn't seen it in my childhood. i had only read about it from my dusty torn history books. i was always a little facinated with history, though. i felt some connection to the past. as i grew into young adulthood, my facinations grew. i watched movies that told stories about the wars. i read books that would take me to war fronts. i learned about the things that war could and did do to families, countries, and the world. but only when i became an adult and began my own family, did i realize the amount of sacrifice that went into making this country free, the amount of continued sacrifices that are still being made, in order to keep this country free. i mourn the loss of all those boys who died in the heroic efforts to protect our freedom during the earlier wars, but also those who die trying to bring freedom to others who cannot fight by themselves. freedom is the most awesome, fragile power. It is what allows each of us to reach our potential. it is what our creater wanted for us. we needed freedom so the world could be able to learn of HIM. i speak of our savior, Jesus Christ. the world as a whole, not only one nation. we are all entitled to freedom. yes, we are our brothers keepers. if one cannot do for himself what we can do, it is up to us to help him. i didn't understand this fully, especially right after 9-11. my heart had broken for our country that day along with millions of others. it made me sick that humans could bend to such evil tendencies. i knew satan was real that day. i tried to draw a good guy bad guy line. i couldn't. i struggle for the losses we as a country have had to swallow and somehow make sense of. i think of the children who grow up not knowing their fathers and mothers. you see, i understand WAR now. i am living through it. it is not some fight in a distant land. but it lays at my door daily. i am aware ever so much these days how prescious life is. i marvel at the courage of those poeple serving, they are truely noble and inspiring to me. they teach me selflessness, love for my brothers and sisters at home and in distant lands, courage, strength, faithfulness, loyalty.

mainly these days, when i think of memorial day...it pulls pictures to my mind of someones brother, sister, son, daughter, mother, father, but i mostly picture a hero. a normal human, flawed as i am, but willing to give the ultimate price for freedom. "anything worth having...is worth paying for!" i heard a solder repeat this. how true it is.

so, to all that serve in those armed forces....thank you is never enough, but since it all i can say, i'll say it loud and clear....THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! my thoughts are with you all tonight in my prayers. may God keep you in the hollow of His hands.

2 comments:

  1. dude. All I saw was that the commenter called themselves oddball... and I knew it was you. :) You know I mean that as a compliment right? Okay. I haven't even read what you've written. Off to do that now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl!!! Love the pictures. I hope ya'll will be in NC when we are there so we can say hi. We will be there last week in June. I've got my own little bloggity blog blog that I try to remember to update if you ever want to check. But I need to be better like you and put some dang pictures up. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete